Ingredients for making dolendwitz
- Pork loin 1.5 kg
- Salt 1/2 cup
- Sugar 1/4 cup
- Garlic 3-4 cloves or 2 teaspoons dry garlic powder
- Marjoram 1 tsp
- Paprika 2 tsp
- Main Ingredients Beef, Pork
- World CuisinePolish Cuisine
Cutting board, Knife, Container, bowl or other suitable container, Gauze - about 0.5 m, Paper napkins, Twine
Step 1: Cooking the dolendewitz.
We will cook a polenta “dry” way, without soaking in brine. Peel a piece of the freshest meat from the films, wash well under running water and pat dry with paper towels.
Mix in a cup or any other suitable container salt (half the indicated amount) and sugar, sprinkle meat on all sides.
Put the meat in a container and refrigerate for 16 hours.
After the specified time, we take the meat out of the refrigerator, drain the juice that is released, remove salt and sugar, wipe it dry with napkins.
Sprinkle dry meat on all sides with salt, place in a container and send in the refrigerator for a day.
After a day, we take the meat out of the refrigerator, clean the salt, wipe it dry with napkins. Rub with chopped or dry garlic, sprinkle with spices on all sides, put in a container and send it to the refrigerator for another day.
After a day, we take out the meat with spices from the refrigerator, wrap in two layers of gauze (instead of gauze, you can use nylon socks, for density it is better to take a pair), we are dressing.
So, the final stage of cooking dolendwitz - we suspend meat in a dry, warm (but not hot, not higher than 20 degrees) ventilated area for at least 5 days, a maximum of two weeks. The longer the meat dries, the drier it will turn out.
In just 5 days, the dolendwitz will be ready - a dry crust will form on top, and inside it will be juicy and soft.
Step 2: Serve the dolendwitz.
Cut the half-dozen into thin slices and serve. It is appropriate both on the festive table and on sandwiches for breakfast. Amazingly delicious with fresh crispy bread.
Enjoy your meal!
- You can use any spices you can use to make the polendwitz that you like most for meat: dried ground horseradish, dried parsley and dill, a mixture of Italian herbs or Provence herbs;
- in order to cook the half-ash “wet” method, pre-cook the brine (1.5 liters of water, 1/4 cup of salt, bay leaf, 3 pcs of cloves, 3 pcs of black peas), bring to a boil and cool. The meat is placed in a container with brine, placed in the refrigerator and soaked for 5 days. Then they take it out, dry it, rub it with garlic, sprinkle it with sugar, spices, put it in a container and leave it in the refrigerator for a day. They take it out of the refrigerator, put it in a large dish, put a plate on top, on which something heavy is placed to remove excess moisture from the meat (several hours are enough). The released liquid is drained, the meat is dried, wrapped in gauze and suspended to dry.