Ingredients for Cooking Boiled Mackerel
- Freshly frozen mackerel 2-3 pieces (depending on size)
- Lemon 1 piece
- Onion 2 pieces
- Pure water 2 liters
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaf 3 pieces
- Allspice 1 teaspoon
- Dried herbs to taste
- Main ingredients: Mackerel, Onion, Lemon
- Serving 6 servings
Saucepan, kitchen knife, cutting board, slotted spoon, serving dish, colander.
Cooking boiled mackerel:
Step 1: Prepare the mackerel.
Mackerel is an unpretentious fish in terms of cleaning. Judge for yourself, it is not necessary to clean it from the scales, the abdomen is dense, and the head is small, so that the waste after cleaning is only a small part. The main thing is to carefully gut the carcasses of mackerels, scrape with a knife from the inside, cleaning from films and blood. Then cut off the heads and ponytails. In the end, it remains only to rinse the fish with cool running water. And if the mackerels are large in size, they can be cut into several parts.
Attention: thaw mackerel only at room temperature, repeated freezing is also not desirable.
Step 2: Prepare the lemon.
Rinse the lemon thoroughly with warm water, brushing off any adhering dirt with your hands. Then cut the fruit into arbitrary pieces, such as thick rings or quarters. If possible, remove the visible bones.
Step 3: Prepare the onion.
Peel the bulbs from the husk, but not completely, leave a small amount of it, it will give the fish and broth color. Cut these vegetables as large as lemon.
Step 4: Cook the mackerel.
Fold the slices of lemon and onions, as well as bay leaves, pour them with water and set to boil at the bottom of the pan. As soon as the resulting broth boils, add peas of allspice, dried herbs and salt to it. Shuffle everything with a slotted spoon. In boiling water with spices, onions and lemon, put the chopped mackerel, wait until it boils again and cook for 15-20 minutes, that is, until complete readiness.
Remove the boiled mackerel with a slotted spoon from the broth and transfer to a colander. Let the excess water drain, and then serve the fish to the table.
Step 5: Serve the boiled mackerel.Boiled mackerel can be an excellent basis for a full lunch or dinner. Just add some mouth-watering side dish, I have them cooked in a jacket potato, and tartar sauce, in fact, you can use just mayonnaise. It turns out satisfying, tasty and healthy. Eat with pleasure.
Enjoy your meal!
- For cooking, choose mackerel that is not frozen, without yellow spots on the abdomen, with clean, shiny eyes, it is such a fish that after cooking will become tasty and will not fall apart in the process.
- On the broth left after cooking the fish, you can cook a delicious fish soup, but onions and lemon can be thrown out with a calm soul, they have fulfilled their function.
- Tartar sauce can be prepared on your own, right in your kitchen, and you can read about how to do this by clicking on this link.