Ingredients for making zucchini caviar for the winter
- Zucchini 3.5 kg (purified 3 kg)
- Carrot 500 grams
- Onions 700 grams
- Vegetable oil 200 milliliters
- Sugar 1 cup
- Table vinegar 9% 1/2 cup
- Tomato paste 1 cup
- Salt 1 cup
- Black pepper or allspice, ground to taste
- Laurel leaf to taste and desire
- Main ingredients: Onion, Carrot, Zucchini
- Serving 1 serving
- World Cuisine
A kitchen knife, a cutting board, paper kitchen towels, a glass (200 ml capacity) - 2 pieces, a stove, a meat grinder, a deep non-stick pan with a lid (6 liter capacity), a wooden kitchen spatula, a glass half-liter or one-liter jar - as needed, a lid with with an elastic band - as needed, a watering can with a wide neck, a ladle, a key for canned food, a woolen blanket.
Cooking squash caviar for the winter:
Step 1: prepare the vegetables.
First of all, with the help of a sharp kitchen knife we peel onions, carrots and zucchini, as a result, the weight of the latter should be no less than and no more than 3 kilograms. We wash the vegetables under trickles of cold running water, dry them with paper kitchen towels, take turns on a chopping board and cut into small slices up to 2-3 centimeters in size.
Step 2: chop the vegetables.
Now, one by one, we chop the vegetables into a deep, approximately 6-liter saucepan in any convenient way, for example, using a stationary or electric meat grinder or a combine with a small nozzle, as well as a blender. As for the choice of the last kitchen appliance, the carrots in it are unlikely to grind very well, in this case it is better to grate it on a fine grater.
Step 3: prepare zucchini caviar for the winter.
Next, we put a pot with finely chopped zucchini, carrots and onions over medium heat. Add the right amount of granulated sugar, vegetable oil, tomato paste, salt and loosen everything with a wooden kitchen spoon or spatula to a homogeneous consistency. After boiling, boil eggs until all vegetables are fully cooked for 2.5-3 hours, under a lid that is not completely covered, stirring occasionally to avoid burning hot dishes to the bottom.
In 10-15 minutes until the end of the process, pour 9-% vinegar into the pan, put a little black or allspice, bay leaf, again mix everything and keep the remaining time on fire.
Step 4: prepare cans and lids.
While the caviar is being cooked, we inspect half-liter or liter glass jars, as well as lids for cracks, nicks and rust. Then we thoroughly rinse them under water with a normal soft kitchen sponge and baking soda or detergent with a minimum content of chemicals. After this, the lids are boiled in a small saucepan and left in it until use, and the jars are sterilized in any convenient way and put on the countertop.
Step 5: preserve the squash caviar for the winter.
When the vegetables are completely soft, not crunchy, with the help of a wide-necked watering can and ladle, we distribute the eggs in the sterilized jars, cover them with lids and tightly cork, if they are screw, with a kitchen towel, and if ordinary with an elastic band, use a special key for preservation.
Then we check the workpiece for leaks, that is, we turn it upside down and look so that air does not come out! If there are bubbles, close the workpiece more tightly, if not, then put it on the floor with the lids down, wrap it in a wool blanket so that there are no gaps, and leave it in this form on 2-3 days until completely cooled. Then we send caviar to a cool, well-ventilated place, for example, a pantry, a cellar, and preferably a cellar.
Step 6: serve the squash caviar for the winter.
Zucchini caviar for winter is served at room temperature or chilled as a snack. This yummy will perfectly complement any dishes, starting with baked, boiled or fried vegetables, cereals from various cereals, pasta and ending with dishes of meat and poultry. It can be served in different ways, in a salad bowl, in portions on plates, in waffle baskets or on crackers, but the most pleasant thing is to enjoy caviar with a slice of fresh homemade bread! Cook with pleasure and be healthy!
Enjoy your meal!
- instead of store tomato paste, you can use homemade;
- very often the amount of onion is increased to 1 kilogram, but in this case it is better to take sweet varieties, for example Crimean or Bulgarian;
- vegetables can be finely chopped, stewed for 1 hour, then chopped with a blender, seasoned with tomato paste, salt, vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, spices and cook another 1.5-2 hours. After that, distribute the eggs in sterilized jars and preserve;
- cans can be sterilized in several ways, in a microwave, oven, by boiling in water on a stove or by steaming;
- 15 minutes before the end of cooking, in addition to spices and vinegar, garlic squeezed through a press is often added to a pan with caviar, about 4 to 8 large cloves to the above mass of products and fresh finely chopped dill or parsley to taste.