Ingredients for Making Galantin from Chicken
- Broiler chicken (gutted) 1 piece (carcass weighing 2 kilograms 500 grams)
- Chicken fillet 2 pieces (medium)
- Veal (fresh pulp from the back leg) 350 grams
- Onion 1 piece (large)
- Pistachios 2 handfuls
- Chicken egg 1 piece (large)
- Dry white wine 3 tablespoons
- Thyme fresh 3 branches
- Cream (fatty) 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper (fresh) to taste
- Black peppercorns to taste
- Laurel leaf 2 pieces or to taste
- Purified water 2, 5 liters or as needed
- Main Ingredients Veal, Onion, Chicken, Cream, White Wine
- Serving 1 serving
- World CuisineFrench Cuisine
Measuring cup (for water), a kitchen knife - 3 pieces, a cutting board - 3 pieces, paper kitchen towels, a deep bowl - 2 pieces, an electric or stationary meat grinder, plastic wrap, bowl, aluminum food foil, tablespoon, deep pan with lid (capacity 5 liters), slotted spoon, cargo (jar of water), twine, tray, portioned plate.
Cooking galantine from chicken:
Step 1: prepare the chicken.
To prepare this dish, we will use a large broiler gutted chicken, that is, already without such viscera as the kidneys, liver, heart, stomach and lungs. First, we thoroughly wash it inside and out, while using tweezers eliminating the remains of feathers and hairs. Then carefully dry the carcass with paper kitchen towels, put it on a cutting board and continue preparation.
Step 2: chop the chicken.
Separate excess chicken fat near the inguinal zone. Then we remove the two extreme phalanges on the wings of the bird.
Then we make a cut along the spine with the tip of a knife and begin to pry off the skin.
Carefully remove it from the back with the meat, without damaging the bone base.
We cut it out of the carcass, trying to leave less meat on it, although scraps can go into mincemeat.
Then we take out the bones at the base of the wings.
We also free the thigh bones from the pulp.
And completely remove them.
The result should be boneless skin with a thick coating of meat, which is slightly beaten off with a kitchen hammer, so that the thickness in all places is equal to about 1.5 centimeters. Rub the resulting semi-finished product to all sides to taste salt, black pepper, sprinkle with white dry wine, transfer to a small bowl and leave it on it 15-20 minutes or before use.
Step 3: prepare onions and thyme sprigs.
Then, using a clean knife, peel the onion. Rinse it, along with fresh thyme and dry. Then we remove the leaves from the branches of greenery and tear them into small pieces in a small bowl, and send the vegetable to a clean board and cut into 4-8 small parts.
Step 4: prepare the chicken fillet and veal.
Then separately wash under water with two additional chicken fillets, and fresh veal. Dip them with paper towels, put them on a cutting board in turn and clean them. We remove poultry meat from cartilage.
Beef from veins, film, and also small bones, which very often remain on the log house, and cut it into small slices or pieces of arbitrary shape with a thickness of 1 to 1.5 centimeters.
Step 5: prepare the filling.
Now we pass two prepared fillets into a deep bowl through an electric or stationary meat grinder along with onions and trimmings, which were removed from the bones of the chopped chicken. There we add leaves from thyme branches, finely chopped veal, raw chicken egg, a little fat cream, two generous handfuls of pistachios, salt to taste, fresh black ground pepper and mix everything with a tablespoon to a homogeneous consistency - the filling for galantine is ready!
Step 6: form a galantine.
We put on a strong fire a deep pan filled with purified water, let it boil. In the meantime, we cover the countertop with a large sheet of plastic food wrap.
We unfold on it the full-length skin soaked in spices with a beaten-off layer of chicken meat. In the center we lay out the filling in the form of an elongated thick sausage and curl the chicken skin with an elastic envelope roll, bending the edges on four sides. We tightly wrap the resulting product in polyethylene and tie it at the ends.
And then, so that the film does not stick during the preparation of hot dishes to the bottom, we again seal the still raw galantine in aluminum foil or gauze folded in two layers.
If you choose the last option for packing, then it is also worthwhile to dress the roll with dense twine or twine in the form of candy!
Step 7: bring the dish to full readiness.
When the water in the pan begins to boil, gently let galantine into it, so that it completely covers it. After boiling again, add laurel leaves, black pepper with peas, reduce heat to medium and we cook the dish for one, and preferably one and a half hours under a covered lid. During this process, it is important that the liquid completely covers the roll, if it is not enough, it is better to add and bring it to a boil again, otherwise the food may remain damp!
After 1-1.5 hours, helping ourselves with a slotted spoon, we take the galantine out of the fat broth, move it into a deep bowl, without unrolling, put a board on it, and lower the load from above weighing 1.5-2 kilograms. After the roll has cooled to room temperature, put it in the refrigerator for 10-12 hoursAfter which you can start tasting!
Step 8: serve the chicken galantin.
Galantin from chicken after insisting eliminates packaging. Then spread on a cutting board and with a sharp knife cut into portion slices with a thickness of 1 to 2 centimeters.
Then they are figuratively distributed on a large flat plate or tray, optionally decorated with aromatic dishes with sprigs of fresh dill, parsley, cilantro or basil, complement the whole composition with olives, olives, pickled or salted vegetables and served as a cold snack before the main courses.
Also, this miracle can be an ideal and very useful substitute for sausages. Enjoy a delicious and simple meal!
Enjoy your meal!
- some hostesses soak the next day in 350 milliliters of cold broth 15-20 grams of gelatin and stand it in this form for 30-40 minutes. Then it is heated in a water bath until completely dissolved, filtered through a sieve with a fine mesh and poured into the resulting mixture previously unpacked and laid in a narrow form of galantine. After that, put it in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to freeze, and serve cold as a cut, covered with jelly;
- in this recipe classic spices and herbs are used, but if desired, you can supplement their set with any spices that are used during the preparation of dishes from poultry or meat;
- an alternative to veal - pork, cream - softened butter, and pistachios any crushed edible nuts;
- very often olives, olives, sweet salad pepper chopped, canned peas, corn, boiled carrot cubes, ham, sun-dried tomatoes, dried fruits, fried mushrooms, boiled and hard-boiled chicken eggs, as well as other goodies are added to the filling.