Ingredients for the preparation of foricol
- Lamb meat on the bone 3 kg
- Fresh cabbage 3 kg
- Salt 2 tablespoons
- Black peppercorns 1 tablespoon
- Wheat flour 2 tablespoons
- Purified water 350 milliliters
- Main Ingredients: Lamb, Cabbage
- Serving 6 servings
- World cuisine Norwegian cuisine
Deep pan with a lid, cutting board, kitchen knife, tablespoon, paper towel
Step 1: Prepare the meat.
For this dish, traditionally used meat of a young lamb on the bone, it has a lighter color and is practically devoid of a specific smell, which comes from adult mutton, and also less greasy.
Take the meat of the chopped lamb and rinse under running water, remove the film with a sharp knife. Dry the meat with a paper towel.
Step 2: Prepare the cabbage.Cabbage is also worth taking young, the head of cabbage should be small in size. Peel the vegetable from the top leaves, rinse off the sand and other dirt. Cut the cabbage lengthwise into two halves, if the head is small, then cut each half into another 3-4 parts. You should get quite large pieces, so you should not habitually chop the vegetable.
Step 3: Cook forikol.
Put the pan on a fast fire, put about half the lamb meat of the one you have, the fattest side down and lightly fry. Add black pepper peas, 1/2 tablespoon wheat flour and sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon salt.
Fill large pieces of cabbage with the next layer, sprinkle with black pepper on top again, 1/2 tablespoon flour and 1/2 tablespoon salt.
Fill the remaining pieces of lamb on the cabbage and again add the spices and flour in the same quantities as before.
Put the last layer of cabbage on top and add spices again, fill with water. Close the lid and bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue cooking more 2 hours. When the meat becomes soft and begins to easily separate from the bone, remove the pan from the heat. A traditional Norwegian dish of young lamb and cabbage meat is ready!
Step 4: Serve the foricol.
Before serving, it is worth spreading it in portions and catching black pepper. Forikol is well served hot with boiled or jacket-baked potatoes.
Enjoy your meal!
- Some when cooking this dish, they first cook meat for one and a half hours and only at the end of cooking add cabbage so that it does not boil.
- You should not experiment and add other seasonings to this dish, black pepper is quite enough to reveal taste.
- Do not add water or stir the dish during cooking.
- For this dish, there are also recipes that do not include the addition of flour, in which case the broth turns out to be more liquid.